Liverpool City Council
0151 707 8000
The Garston Neighbourhood is located approximately 7 miles south of Liverpool City Centre and is ranked amongst the most deprived areas in England. In recent years, significant levels of investment have been injected into employment, retail, leisure and transport facilities, stimulating an economic revival.
In order to ensure that adjacent residential areas, which consisted of pre-1919 terraced properties and 'Radburn' style Council Housing benefited from this economic upsurge, a Neighbourhood Plan was commissioned which sought to improve and restructure the local housing market.
Inner City Solutions acted as lead consultant to undertake a comprehensive assessment of existing housing stock and produce a programme of action to improve the housing market through major remodelling and new build development.
Our role specifically included:
- Development of a range of housing options for existing and new build dwellings
- Co-ordinating consultation with all key stakeholders including Speke Garston Partnership, Speke Garston Development Company, Liverpool City Council, Northwest Development Agency, Liverpool Housing Trust, South Liverpool Housing and a range of developers
- Provision of a costed implementation programme
- Creation of a new decision making forum for all key stakeholders
- Site assembly
- Liaison with potential private sector development partners
The Garston Neighbourhood Plan provided a five-year development programme for housing investment in Garston-under-the-Bridge. The strategy provided the basis for the demolition of 600 dwellings, a comprehensive investment programme for 900 dwellings and redevelopment proposals for over 13 ha (32 acres) of brown-field land complete with a site assembly strategy.
In order to ensure that housing investment decisions met the aspirations of the local community and tied housing into the wider regeneration agenda, Inner City Solutions recommended the establishment of the Garston Urban Village Partnership - a decision making forum and delivery vehicle to resource the implementation of the Neighbourhood Plan. This approach has been cited nationally, as an example of best practice in sustainable housing market restructuring. GUVP has appointed a preferred development partner and is working with RSL partners to deliver £50 million of new housing investment.
- Strategy Assessment
- Optional Appraisal
- Area Based Strategy Formulation
- Action Planning
- Site Assembly
- Business Relocation
Click to return to the Physical Regeneration page.